Beef Barley soup is hearty and perfect on a chilly day. Take a look at our 100 gallon recipe.
Additional measurements for different batch sizes are listed below the recipe.
For more information on cook-chill products, visit our cook-chill products main page.
|Ingredients (100 Gallon Recipe)||Unit of Measurement|
|Diced Onions, Fresh||40 LBS|
|Diced Celery, Fresh||40 LBS|
|Diced Carrots, Frozen||40 LBS|
|Black Pepper||0.5 LBS|
|Modified Starch||15 LBS|
|Beef Base||20 LBS|
|Vegetable Oil||3 GAL|
|Shredded (Chili) Beef||100 LBS|
|Kitchen Bouquet||2 QT|
|Ingredients||80 Gal||60 Gal||40 Gal||20 Gal|
|Diced Onions, Fresh||32 LBS||24 LBS||16 LBS||8 LBS|
|Diced Celery, Fresh||32 LBS||24 LBS||16 LBS||8 LBS|
|Diced Carrots, Frozen||32 LBS||24 LBS||16 LBS||8 LBS|
|Barley||48 LBS||36 LBS||24 LBS||12 LBS|
|Black Pepper||.40 LBS||.30 LBS||.20 LBS||.10 LBS|
|Salt||.80 LBS||.60 LBS||.40 LBS||.20 LBS|
|Flour||12 LBS||9 LBS||6 LBS||3 LBS|
|Modified Starch||12 LBS||9 LBS||6 LBS||3 LBS|
|Beef Base||16 LBS||12 LBS||8 LBS||4 LBS|
|Vegetable Oil||2.40 GAL||1.80 GAL||1.20 GAL||.60 GAL|
|Shredded (Chili) Beef||80 LBS||60 LBS||40 LBS||20 LBS|
|Water||64 GAL||48 GAL||32 GAL||16 GAL|
|Kitchen Bouquet||1.6 QT||1.2 QT||.80 QT||.40 QT|
|Thyme||.60 LBS||.45 LBS||.30 LBS||.15 LBS|
1. Inspect the weight and condition of all ingredients.
2. Heat kettle to 140° F.
3. Add oil, diced beef, onions, celery and carrots. Cook for 30 minutes.
4. Add hot water, barley and black pepper. Set kettle temperature to 180° F and cook for 15 minutes.
5. Combine flour and starch with water and mix until you have a smooth paste. Add paste to soup and cook for 30 minutes.
6. Date, label and clip casings and place in water bath chiller. Chill contents of casings to less than 40° F in less than 1-1/2 hours.
7. Refrigerate casings at 28°-30° F.
8. Set pump speed at 60-100% and agitator speed on 60-80%.
9. Fill casing 4-6" from the top of casing with product. Label. Hold each casing for 3 minutes to allow for inside of casing surface pasteurization. Check seal before adding the casing to the chiller. Put a special label on the last casing so this casing can be found in the chiller. The product temperature of this casing is measured to assess cooling of contents of all casings before they are removed from the chiller.
10. Place in chiller water (35° F) Chill < one hour. Make sure the chiller water has 5 ppm chlorine or equivalent chemical.
When temperature of control casing is < 40° F, all casings can be removed.
11. Put casings (<40° F) one layer deep in storage racks on the cart.
12. Allow food to deep chill to 29° F (+/- 1° F) in < 12 hours.
13. Hold at 29° F (+/- 1° F) and use within 14-30 days.
Re-heating, Plating and Serving
16. When needed, heat Beef Barley Soup to 165° F (no higher for quality) by an appropriate method.
17. Hold covered at 165° F and serve within 30 minutes so that food is > 150° F when consumed.
18. Dispose of leftovers, or cool at 40° F in < 4 hours and serve within 24 hours.